STRATEGIC QA PLAN
HCMUT periodically builds the institution’s strategic development plans for each period of 5 years with formative and summative monitoring. Strategic QA plans have been developed on the basis of the institution’s development strategies in each period for the objectives of continuous quality assurance and improvement.
The strategic QA plans for the period of 2011 - 2015 with the orientation to 2020 consist of:
- Completing the IQA system for the continuous assurance and improvement of the quality of education, research and services, including: The development and introduction of quality policies, database, quality handbook and the guidelines on the activities of quality assurance and improvement; The development and maintaining of the QA activities like conducting surveys for getting feedback from stakeholders and propose the measures for quality improvement; Development of QA database system.
- Assessment and accreditation at the institutional and program levels in accordance with the prestigious criteria in the world and in the region.
- Staff development, including academic and QA staff.
The strategic QA plans of the period of 2016 – 2020 have been developed on the basis of checking the implementation status quo of the previous period and the institution’s strategic development plans, which include:
- Continuously assuring and enhancing the quality of teaching, learning and research
- Maintaining and reaccredition of the 2 programs of the Computer Science Faculty according to ABET criteria
- Accreditation of the 2 programs for the Faculty of Electric-Electronics and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering according to ABET criteria
- Reaccreditation of the accredited programs according to AUN-QA criteria when the certificates expire
- In each period, each faculty has at least 1 program accredited by AUN-QA
- Accreditation of all the programs with the orientation of opening the advanced and high-quality programs...
- Accreditation at the institutional level
- Developing and maintaining the QA activities such as conducting surveys to get feedback from stakeholders to support the renovation and quality improvement of training programs.
- Maintaining the surveys being conducted and extending the surveys to the graduate programs.
- Developing and improving the important KPI system to support the data-based decision-making process and monitor the quality improvement.
- Developing and introducing the KPI set for all the educational programs.
- Developing and improving the quality policies, database, quality handbook and the guidelines for the quality assurance and improvement.
- Developing the database and supporting software
- Developing qualified QA staff at the institution and unit levels.
- Continuing with the staff development
The quality policies have been issued in the Quality handbook and published on the website. In which, HCMUT makes the following commitment:
- Leadership and leadership commitment:the commitment from the top level of management for quality and quality assurance is the first most important component of the system.
- Customer focus:HCMUT understand and emphasize the role of its internal and external customer groups such as current students, alumni, professors, staff, and employers in its mission, strategy, systems, processes, and services.
- Engagement of stakeholders: Quality should be designed, reflected, and managed from different perspectives. Our IQA system is an open one, willing to listen, and encouraging the involvement and participations of stakeholders. In addition, regulations, guidelines from MOET, VNU, and accreditation organizations are also act as the input for our system.
- Continuous improvement: the IQA systemof HCMUT is continuously checked and improved to enhance the quality and meet the stakeholders’ requirements.
- Adopting decisions on the basis of facts encouraging or requiring judgments to be evidence based and logical.
- Benchmark and Benchmarking: continuously compare and learn from the best practices within HCMUT, within VNU system, and with local and international universities around the world.
- Honesty, Objectivity, Transparency, and Publicity of Information: data and information should be collected objectively, scientifically, and transparent. Important data and information will be analyzed, and distributed to stakeholders.
The engagement of the stakeholders, the activities and staff training are described in the strategic QA plan.
The strategic QA plan is implemented through the annual action plans. Therewith, the QA Office develops the action plans for the approval of the Board of Rectors. The annual implementation plans have been concretized into the monthly implementation work. Every month, the QA Office reports the implementation results of the month and the plans for the following month to the Board of Rectors and openly discuss those plans at the institutional meetings (in the recent years held on the first Thursday of each month). In addition, the QA Office also makes a preliminary formative report (after 6 months) and a summative report on the implementation of the whole academic year, and the following plans. These reports together with the reports of the functional units of HCMUT will be communicated openly to all the units and at the Annual Staff Meeting held by the Labor Union.
The quality policies, system, processes and procedures have been summarized and introduced in the Quality Handbook in compliance with the ISO 9001:2008 and published on the website of QA section.
The documents, policies, processes and procedures have been periodically checked, internally assessed and monitored by BSI (The British Standards Institution).
As for the assessment and accreditation at the institutional and program level, HCMUT has developed the assessment procedures, which include the following main phases: (1) Preparation; (2) Self-assessment; (3) Internal assessment (peer review); (4) Official assessment; (5) Post-assessment. Among these phases, the preparation phase usually consists of the study and training on the self-assessment and the requirements according to the criteria; the establishment of the self-assessment council and the self-assessment team. The self-assessment phase usually consists of the implementation of the self-assessment and improvement activities, writing the self-assessment report. The internal assessment (peer review) is usually conducted by the experts invited by HCMUT (accreditation according to ABET, HCERES, ...), or by VNU (accreditation according to MOET, AUN-QA criteria). After the internal peer review, HCMUT/faculty will continue the improvement activities and prepare for the official assessment. In the official assessment phase, HCMUT will follow the procedures required by the assessment/accreditation agencies. After the official assessment, HCMUT will announce the assessment results, give rewards and recognition to the units involved, and use the feedback/recommendations for the purpose of quality assurance and improvement.